Heroquest for Le Guin's Earthsea

From: Corcoran, Myles <m.corcoran_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:12:00 +0100

[this is resent as the first attempt hasn't appeared after 4 days.]

Hi folks,

        I'm mulling over the idea of using HeroQuest for a game set in Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea. A couple of questions then.

  1. Has any one already done this with HQ or HW? What sort of keywords did you come up with?
  2. In Earthsea there is a lot of magic but not really so much personal magic as we see in Glorantha. I can readily see a village witch or a Roke mage with a complete magic keyword, as per the character generation in HQ, but for many characters magic would something they encounter rather than something they possess. Do I drop the magic keyword such characters, or do I allow talents and innate abilities anyway, but make them less overt to remain in keeping with the setting.
  3. What sort of magic is Roke magery? How would you model it in HQ? How about the magic of Osskil and the dark powers of the earth like the Terranon

and the Tombs of Atuan? I sort of imagine the Language of the Making to be a broad affinity, possibly broken down into the various arts taught at Roke. There would then be a Windkey affinity, a Hand affinity, Patterning and Naming, etc. Any other ideas?

        Myles

--
Myles Corcoran - UCC Computer Centre - m.corcoran_at_... - 021 4903961