Re: Starting ability scores

From: argrathi <argrathi_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:17:29 -0000

> Not really tried this one out, but all us old time Roleplayers
will have
> plenty of assorted polyhedral dice of assorted sizes, so you could
get
> that old "random char gen" feel by picking suitable sets of dice
to roll

Want to keep it to d20s?

I roll 3 x d20s and select the middle value as a sort of dodgy 3d6. So for keywords roll and add 7 for a range of 8 to 7w, but generally somewhere between 13 - 1w. Then for the keyword's abilities you can give the player the option of gambling or sticking.

For other skills its roll and add 3 or stick at 13.

I allow the players to make one roll of 3 d20s choosing the *lower* number and adding to 20. They can replace one skill value of their choice with this.

You get some good and some bad scores with this method, but it's more fun. With a bad run of dice (what, spear and shield *and* javelin at 8?) it can get a bit mad but in this sort of instance let em swap the score with their flower arranging score or something. (just like the old days - what does a man need APPearance for anyway? Give it to DEX)

You can change the range by upping or downing the modifier. For youngsters you could make it 3d20s choosing the lowest and adding to 6.

It's more to my taste having this sort of unique mishmash of ability.