Re: Starting ability scores

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:01:36 -0700 (PDT)

"argrathi" discussing random scores:

> You get some good and some bad scores with this
> method, but it's more fun. With a bad run of dice
> (what, spear and shield *and* javelin at 8?) it
> can get a bit mad but in this sort of instance let
> em swap the score with their flower arranging score
> or something. (just like the old days - what
> does a man need APPearance for anyway? Give it
> to DEX)

Something I've been toying with is the idea of requiring players to randomize ability scores in their keywords that they don't improve during normal character generation. So, if the keyword has Plow Fields, Care for Oxen, and Build Barn (none of which were improved) as well as Raid Cattle, Run Fast, and Spear and Shield Combat (all of which were), I might randomize the first three, to give more depth to the character, to entice the player into trying to use that Care for Cattle 9W at some point, and to make the player aware that his weakness of Plow Fields 5 might be a problem some day. If also creates some variation among otherwise cimilar members of a culture.

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com