Re: Re: Starting ability scores

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:58:28 +0100

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 08:25:14PM -0000, BEThexton wrote:
> "If the player wants, one of the hero's key words can start at 13
> instead of 17, and in return one of his or her other abilities can
> start at 17 instead of 13."
>
> In general minimaxing terms it is a clear loss, but it would still be
> appealing for some heroes. The added bonus is that it leaves the
> current rule as a default. Of course, most narrators would probably
> allow this anyway if you asked nicely :)

This is strongly reminiscent of something in the first version of HW that was publically demo'd, at a Convulsions of Yore (*sigh*). You got to have two 'core abilities', one of which could be a keyword, and you were naturally 'strongly incentivised' to do so, but both might be single abilities if you were so inclined.

One might generalise this somewhat, and allow say 3-6 abilities 'in lieu of' a keyword; or perhaps a 'core phrase', with all the abilities therein at 17, or some such Obviously Reasonable Orlanthi Compromise.

(I've been playing something *vaguely* along those lines, but so vaguely vague as to be difficult to articulate as any actual 'rule' as such.)

Cheers,
Alex.