Re: Re: Hsunchen & Puma People

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:52:16 +0100

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:45:04PM -0700, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> To my mind, the problem is caused by calling "natural magic" (such as PP
> shapechanging) a Talent, then using "Talent" to describe some Common Magic
> abilities as well. Another word should have been used. I think it was a
> "too many cooks" moment.

If the two are distinct, then a different name should have been chosen, certainly. (The PP (lack of a)homeland writeup doesn't use the word 'talent', but it does say 'innate magic', to similar (and confusing) effect -- unless you want to unbundle the two, a la Camo. If this is just a proofing/consistency error, fair enough, not wanting to make a big deal out of it (believe it or not).) But does the distinction actually made sense? If talents _don't_ work like 'natural magic' (or "magic that now acts as if it's natural, regardless of how I got m'hands on it"), then how _do_ they work?

> My personal opinion is that a "non-mundane" ability that is described as
> part of heredity or species characteristics is *not* the same as a Common
> Magic talent and does not get screwed up when you concentrate your magic.

Well, I think agreement on the latter part of that at least is pretty universal, happily... We're just quibbling about the game-mechanical rationale, in effect.

> So if I write "Oddi inherited the power of Flight from his father, the North
> Wind" his flight ability should not be counted as part of the Common Magic
> keyword, and if Oddi joins the cult of Humakt (or, to go overboard, Kadone
> the Grounder) he still keeps his Fly ability even when he becomes a Devotee
> and has to concentrate his magic and "give up any magic not from his god".
> Even if he becomes a Disciple. It's a part of him like his arms and legs or
> his eyes.

This is well within my conception of what a 'talent' would be.

Though it does seem vaguely divine in origin, so does concern me somewhat if the issue ever arose of what'd happen if he wanted to concentrate in _sorcery_, say... (This isn't a huge problem though, since one can always say that regardless of the mechanics of concentration per se, your actual _religion_ is going to have to say a thing or two about what's acceptable, and what's not.)

Cheers,
Alex.