Do the rules determine the nature of Glorantha?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:56:04 -0500

I know it sounds esoteric, but it's a basic question that relates to the consistent presentation HQ at non-Glorantha conventions. For example, I asked earlier if the this trend (congregation blessing penalties increasing with congregation size) is an intended consequence of the rules. The only semi-official reply I got was that 'handwaving' the bonuses and penalties sounded good. That's fine for my home games where I will do whatever I want, but it is not sufficient for explaining this game to the uninitiated at a non-Glorantha convention.

Why am I asking questions like this? Because I have been and will continue to run HW/HQ at non-Glorantha cons in the US. I would also like to be able to answer such questions when they arise and answers like YGWV are dodging the issue. It's irritating enough to change my home HQ games every time the rule set is rewritten, but running the game at cons with different assumptions is a potential nuisance.

The puma-shapechanging-innate-magic-loss discussion showed that the rules may be incorrect, or subject to change or clarification, which goes beyond a YGWV dismissal of such questions, so, here are some example questions:

  1. Is there a Glorantha independent of the rules, or do the rules determine the nature of Glorantha? (This is really addressed toward the FAQ folks.)
  2. Is the scaling of penalties with wizardry church congregation size intended to be a part of the reality of Glorantha? (The wizardry chapter does not address the repercussions or implications of this of this, regardless of the novel approaches that have come up in the mailing lists.)
  3. Is the loss of Donandar and Lanbril common magic if you specialize in the magic of a non-Common Magic "subcult" intended to be a part of the reality of Glorantha? (Example: Worshipping Skovara gets possible access to Donandar talents, but specializing in order to gain Skovara's feats involves a loss of Donandar talents.)
  4. Puma loss of innate shapechanging when specializing in other than Common Magic (included only for completeness).
  5. Now that Kero Fin and Engizi are landscape deities, are their Storm Tribe cults still relevant (now that having 140 worshippers can drop the resistance to climb Kero Fin to zero)?
  6. I'm sure there are other such repercussions of the rules; is this list worth collecting and commenting on?

Thanks,
Andy