Common Magic (was Re: Hsunchen & Puma People)

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:54:33 -0000

I must admit that the Common Magic rules have been the most confusing part of HQ for me. Since my campaign is in Sartar I've been thinking about this mostly in relation to the Heortlings. My first question was, why are these theists "learning" Talents rather than Feats. Why not just treat Common Magic as a kind of pantheon-level extension of the existing theistic magic rules? Also, why Flesh Man? I'd have thought a cultural hero like Heort, who taught the people how to live, would be the source of these abilities?

I'm contemplating introducing Common Magic in just this fashion. The feats come from several different sources in the pantheon, mostly heroes like Heort, etc... and are learned during communal ceremonies.  Those who do not concentrate Common magic can only use these to augment other abilities. Those who do can use them as standard feats.

any comments?

Gerald