Re: Concentrated Magic Use

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:05:00 -0700

Brian <brian_at_...> wrote:

> On page 118 at the upper right under Common Magic Feats it says that
> any theist who concentrates his magic can use common magic feats as
> abilities. This doesn't seem to make sense to me as if you ARE
> concentrating your magic, don't you have to give up your common
> magic feats (ie, give up anything not specifically from your god)
> [...]

As I understand it, if you concentrate your magic, you aren't limiting yourself to just that one *god*--you're limiting yourself to just that one *world*. If you concentrate on Theistic magic, you can use feats and affinities from any god, including common magic feats--but you can't use spirits, spells, etc. from any school. Mind you, your *god* may object if you mix feats from different gods (if, say, a Chalana Arroy initiate starts learning "Sword" or "Headhunter" feats), but the rules won't.

There are exceptions--e.g. a Lunar can "concentrate" in the Lunar pantheon, and thus use any Lunar spells/feats/spirits, but no non-Lunar magic from any world. (I suspect Trolls do something similar, concentrating in just Underworld or just Circle-of-Eight, but this hasn't been worked out.) But by and large, concentrating your magic doesn't limit you to a specific god or even a specific pantheon.

As I understand it, anyway...

--AMS