Re: Concentrated Magic Use

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:27:54 -0700

> On page 118 at the upper right under Common Magic Feats it says that
> any theist who concentrates his magic can use common magic feats as
> abilities. This doesn't seem to make sense to me as if you ARE
> concentrating your magic, don't you have to give up your common
> magic feats (ie, give up anything not specifically from your god)
> and thus have nothing to use as an ability? If not, what common
> magic feats are being refered to here that can be kept and yet still
> qualify for concentrated magic use? If you then become a devotee do
> you still retain these common magic feats?

Concentrating your magic and level of participation in the religion are two different things.

He is (usually) allowed to use magic not from his god. He may choose not to concentrate his magic, in which case he pays the standard rate for Affinities (6 hp/+1) , but gets to continue using Talents, charms, spells and spirits. If he chooses to Concentrate, he loses his CM Spirits etc. but can use any *feats* from common magic as abilities and only pays half price for affinities.

It's only when you become a Devotee that you *must* give up all magic not from your god and concentrate your magic. So you can't use your Common Magic feats anymore unless they are very similar to feats available in your god's affinities, in which case they are basically replaced with your god's feats.

Frankly, since there is no rules (or even story) difference between Common Magic abilities (Spells, Feats, Charms, Spirits, Talents) there is no reason to say "all my common magic is in the form of feats feats" (if you're a theist). I advocated going with Common Magic being undifferentiated abilities, but it was decided otherwise.

> Also, does it cost anything for a starting hero to concentrate his
> magic? It seems that later on you have to pay a point to do this,
> but does the hero need to pay anything at creation time for this?

Nope.

RR
- Richelieu