Re: Re: Concentrated Magic Use

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:42:33 +0100

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:14:50AM -0000, Brian wrote:
> Just what would be common magic feats then? The Flesh Man magic is
> listed as being talents, not feats. Where exactly would they be
> getting/learning these common magic feats from? That's the odd part
> I found about the paragraph on page 118. It talks about and
> references 'Common Magic Feats'.

Right, Heortlings seem to be on a slightly sticky wicket here, by an entirely strict reading. (Dara Happa or Esrolian theists OTOH likely have access to some common magic feats, so it's not as if the circumstance are entirely hypothetical or anything.) It's not at all clear to me what the Deep Gloranthan Reason for Flesh Man providing specifically talents is, or indeed what sense "learning talents" even makes, I must say.

But it's easy enough to handwave around if you'd prefer that theism-concentrated Heortlings do have access to some CM. e.g., rule that Flesh Man magic is/can be feats, which is somewhat in the spirit of the parenthical advice on p29, or exclude talents from the list of things 'lost' in Otherworldly concentration, as suggesting in a Certain Other Thread.

Cheers,
Alex.