Re: Re: Concentrated Magic Use

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:49:10 -0700

Brian <brian_at_...> wrote:

> Just what would be common magic feats then? The Flesh Man magic is
> listed as being talents, not feats. Where exactly would they be
> getting/learning these common magic feats from?

I think the answer is, "From any god or hero in the Storm Tribe". I'd guess that if you want to learn elaborate, flexible magic--that is, an affinity or secret--you have to initiate to the god or hero. But the gods and heroes are a lot more easy-going about handing out one-off common feats.

So maybe in a temple ritual, they have you stand in for Arroin in some myth. (You aren't a healing cultist, but they don't have anyone better, and anyway, you're the right height to wear the Arroin suit.) You could take that opportunity to learn a "heal battle-wounds" (common) feat, even though it isn't your regular cult. Or maybe you're an Orlanthi, and participating in a temple ritual where you play one of the thunder brothers. In the myth, Ernalda blesses her children not to go hungry while they're off on an errand. Whammo, your character just learned a "find food" or "endure hunger" common feat.

There are also some "common-magic-only" cults, but I don't remember if the Heortlings have any (since all[*] Heortlings initiate to a god, and there's no point in initiating to a god without affinities).

[*] Orlanthi 'all', of course. (Maybe we should abbreviate that as OAOC? Or just write"oall", as in "oall Heortlings initiate to gods"?)