Re: Re: Concentrated Magic Use

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 02:21:20 +0100

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:54:10AM -0000, BEThexton wrote:
> The list on page 29 shows the sort of typical common magic ability you
> can get without being part of a common magic religion. The player can
> define each one as talent, feat, spell, or charm, as desired.

The reading I had of this was that the likely intent was that in Sartar, say, this list (or a variation thereon) was provided by Flesh Man as talents, in Esrolia as a mixture, etc, but I agree your interpretation is as plausible.

> So in this way, a heortling could well have some common magic feats.
> Also, you could list some in your list/narrative, or you could have
> something like "He travelled in Esrolia, and joined the curbside
> society" and gain access to some feats that way.

Certainly, yes. This seems maybe overkill in this case, but it's an excellent 'mechanic' for unusual backgrounds or combinations of abilities in general. "Yes, but... write a proportionate amount of description in your 100 words/slip me enough HPs that I can believe this gratuitous insertion..."

Cheers,
Alex.