Re: Common Magic (was Re: Hsunchen & Puma People)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:07:10 -0700

Gerald

>I must admit that the Common Magic rules have been the most confusing
>part of HQ for me. Since my campaign is in Sartar I've been thinking
>about this mostly in relation to the Heortlings. My first question
>was, why are these theists "learning" Talents rather than Feats.

Because it's not a perfect world. (Or as Greg would say, the world is made of everything.)

> Why
>not just treat Common Magic as a kind of pantheon-level extension of
>the existing theistic magic rules?

Because it doesn't derive from the same Otherworld.

>Also, why Flesh Man? I'd have
>thought a cultural hero like Heort, who taught the people how to live,
>would be the source of these abilities?

There is no single source of abilities. Players are always free to pick whatever common magic they want, and can make up any reasonable source for it. The HQ rules simply offer some default suggestions.

I think in general there is no named entity that provides more than one or two of any Heortling's common magic. Saying "Flesh Man" is akin to saying you have "Thunder Brothers" magic.

I'd also like to suggest that some of the common magic derives from the clan (or bloodline) ancestors.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html