Re: Gods in the mortal world

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:40:06 -0000

Andrew Dawson wrote:
> The below seems like a reasonable explanation of the continued
> existence of the Storm Tribe cults. It does not address the HQ
> rules that explicitly list both Engizi and Kero Fin as landscape
> deities that are weakened by worship.

I expect they are weakened, but that both these beings are sufficently powerful as gods and have few enough worshippers that the effects are not that manifest as they might be for less-signifcant entities. Also I think that Kero Fin and Engizi gain, as all gods do, from the worship of their pantheon, so that might balance and landscape drain out in a way that minor entities might not. After all Kero Fin gets collateral worship as Orlanth's mother.

Could you weaken these entities by large enough mass-worship? Maybe - and it sounds like an interesting Hero Wars plot generally - a deliberate attempt to weaken and distract a landscape deity by encouraging mass worship (come on folks join up, everyone is worshipping Kero Fin this week - its the Lunar Way), so that you can attack it in some way.

Would Kero Fin shrink if it had too many worshippers? I suspect not, but the entity that was Kero Fin would be able to give less power to each individual worshipper and would be more susceptible to outside attacks. Kero Fin would grow spiritually thin, like butter scraped over too much bread. YGMV.

However we know from the God Learners experience that the universe tends to bounce back against attempts to manipulate it in this way.