Re: Re: Do the rules determine the nature of Glorantha?

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:17:18 -0400

Hi!

>  For example, unless I see a convincing, reasoned
>argument for the bait-and-switch approach of enticing heroes to start
with
>common magic, spend resources on it, and then drop it to pursue the
really
>interesting magic, I'm not going to have this IMG.

Variety.

During playtesting, my players found it very helpful to have some CM so that they could have magic that was different than just merchant magic or warrior magic. They tended to not spent points on it unless they were planning on concentrating it. Once they were at a point where they wanted to really improve their 'specialized' magic, they'd concentrate and get rid of their CM.

 From a minimaxing point of view, it's not bad. You get 5 abilities for free that each give you a +2 toward something not necessarily related to your character's magic keyword. You'll eventually get rid of them but they didn't cost you anything to begin with. Granted, they make other magic more expensive but my players tended to focus on mundane abilities until they concentrated their magic.

Camo