Re: Concentrated Magic Use

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:06:18 -0000

Alex wrote:
>Ah, yes, well spotted! He's a communal worshipper, but he does have
>a few standalone Uroxi feats, takes part in the Bull's
> rituals, etc."

Indeed. Another good example is Griselda. She does magic but was not initiated into a religion. Cue HW with its implication that she had to be, despite the fact that initiation did not fit her conception.

http://www.glorantha.com/hw/fan/griselda.html

But now Griselda can make sense because she can have common magic as a solution (and mabye even Lanbril instead of Flesh Man).

So one thing missing from this discussion is character conception. Sometimes a character may simply be conceived as not having the personality for devotion, or concentrating their magic. Not everyone chooses to max out hero point spend. My character Feren is an initiate, devotion to one subcult is not for Feren. Sure that does not give him as potent a magical choice, but as the clan skald he relies more on his satire to defeat his opponents. What HQ gives with the various systems in Gloranthan choices. I doubt they balance out, I do not think they were designed to balance out but my game fun is not affected, because I trust the narrator to create appropriate challenges. That does not work for everyone of course, and those people will always want to take the most advantageous choice, more power to them, but power to us too.