Re: Where Does One Get the *Good* Common Magic?

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:46:56 +0000

>I had a neat little Landscape Deity in a recent adventure and told the
>players the mechanics for gaining magic from it. That's when I
>realized that getting magic from things in the mundane world is a lot
>worse than the standard Common Magic. Which begs the question of how
>one gets the standard Common Magic if not by worshipping things in the
>mundane world.

<snip a bunch of good examples of how getting magic as common magic instead of worshipping a landscape deity is "better">

>A) Am I misreading the rules?

No.

>B) If not, what are some ways to make worshipping cool things in the
>campaign more appealing than just picking up Common Magic?

Making the landscape magic cool and making it only available through the landscape deity.

>Should I
>just ignore the limitations on the local deities/essences/spirits?

No. Just because in game terms someone could take the magic offered by a landscape deity as common magic instead doesn't mean that it's actually *available* as common magic. "Enjoy Yourself Peacefully" is something that emanates from the cliff; not Flesh Man, not a local stream spirit, and not The Peaceman Society.

That's not necessarily going to stop a player from making up a common magic source for it but that's ok, too. The common person (read NPC) is going to "play by the rules" but your PCs are supposed to be special and break the rules.

Of course, if you *really* don't want your players to have another source of the magic, you may certainly say that it's only available from the cliff. It's your Glorantha, after all.

Camo