Re: Where Does One Get the *Good* Common Magic?

From: drpachyderm <dunlaing_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:28:03 -0000

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 04:05:56PM -0000, drpachyderm wrote:

> > Which begs the question of how one gets the standard Common Magic
if not by worshipping things in the mundane world.

> As has already been suggested: from the ancestors, from local (not
necessarily landscape per se) spirits/daimons/essenses, from your family's, clan's or association's 'this is always the way things around here have worked' magical practices.

What is a "local daimon" in this sense? How is it different from the landscape deities and daimons described as giving localized feats?

This is what's confusing me. Common Magic does come from this world. But it's useful. The chapter on daimons that come from this world though describes getting magic from them that's not as useful. If I, as a narrator, want to put in a daimon as a source of common magic that can be used anywhere, how do I differentiate it from the daimons in the chapter that says their feats can only be used in their vicinity?

Is the difference that one is part of a religion and one isn't? That one has been used for a long time that way and one hasn't? I just don't see what the difference is between the two entities (aside from the efficacy of their provided magic).