Re: Re: Re: Where Does One Get the *Good* Common Magic?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 01:13:23 +0100

On reflection, and on some re-reading of portions of HQ, I think my earlier answer needs work. I was rather assuming that daimons/minor deities providing common magic feats was an established fact, and the estimable Elephant, PhD, was really focussing too narrowly on landscape types as a special case. In fact, I can't find *any* examples of same in the book, aside from two of the 7Ms, who hardly seem typical of the supposed genre. (Not counting entities that are listed as sources of feats *and* other magics.) Rather, I was answering Dr. P from how I think it *ought* to work, and that I'd more or less stand by.

That is, depending on (some combination of) both the nature of the theistic entity in question and the manner in which it's worshipped, it's possible for it to act as a guardian (and thus somewhat poorly as a source of feats), as a source of feats only (whether these be 'common magic' as such being another issue), or of whole affinities. HQ seems less than explicit about this, but we certainly have instances of the first and last, for theistic being in general, and the middle seems at worst a pretty reasonable interpolation.

Cheers,
Alex.