Re: RE:Common Magic for kids

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:29:00 -0000

Good lord, how could you NOT want that in your world?

In all earnestness however, I'd suggest that a good portion of the "magic" that they teach is pure hokum, but that naturally there will be a bit of real magic in there, that at least some of them learn.

Of course, not being specialized (*) they can only use it to augment, so the net effect is pretty minor....they are just a bit better at certain things.

However, this fits in perfectly with my previous suggestions about pre-initiand heortlings going "berry picking" on other clan tulas.

As kids get older, I think they start getting more instruction on the nature of magic, and may begin to realize how much of their children's club was hokum. It may be common to have a common magic ability or two prior to initiation. In particular, I wonder if sometimes kids don't manage to suddenly pick up a feat or talent mimicking one of the feats of a cult of interest to them, as they start worshipping, even pre-initiation. Not everyone, but "everyone knows it happens sometimes," and is a good sign that the appropriate god will chose that child. Like the trader's kid who develops the "convince seller" talent, or the farmer's son who picks up a ploughing talent.

I would think that initiands would be formally taught talents from their common religion. Some wouldn't want them, some wouldn't be able to pick them up, some would learn them and then drop them quickly. But while you are waiting for deeper initiation, common magic would seem to be a good fill in. It also makes adventures of initiands that much more interesting, because they can legitimately have some magic that way.

Regards;