Re: RE:Common Magic for kids

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:09:49 -0000

Bryan wrote:
> Good lord, how could you NOT want that in your world?

No interest in starting a flame war in a good natured discussion. So take this post in that context. But I want to raise that Thunder Rebels states on p.58 that Heortlings forbid magic and sex to children - anyone who has not been initiated. I know... YGWV.

Now I don't want to infer that this says anything about other cultures. But let's look at this one.

Under-age magic in TR is forbidden, just like sex. Now just like underage sex, I am sure that kids experiment with talents, charms they find in the kitchen for lighting the fire etc. (hell they play with fireworks around here too and they are banned from them as well). But I'm also sure that if they get caught they get a damn good hiding for messing with things that they are not supposed to. So in answer to the original question, i doubt they get any magic from Vorian and Voriof - but I don't suspect that this means that Gloranthan kids are not as likely to break the rules and to get punished as ours are.

A more interesting question perhaps is why kids are forbidden magic. The answer must be that use of magic requires responsibility, that characteristic that distinguishes kids from adults. Magic is an adult thing, like sex, or the vote. In Glorantha it is also tied to religion and as such it is sacred. Much as way have initiation (frx confirmation for Christians) to be allowed to part in the sacred parts of worship (frx, mass/communion for Christians) and use it to mark adulthood so Gloranthan religions require initiation before people are allowed access to their sacred aspects too.