Re: Common Magic for kids

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:17:57 -0700

Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...> wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>> Good lord, how could you NOT want that in your world?
>
> No interest in starting a flame war in a good natured discussion. So
> take this post in that context. But I want to raise that Thunder
> Rebels states on p.58 that Heortlings forbid magic and sex to
> children - anyone who has not been initiated. I know... YGWV.

But as all Heortling children know, "Nobody can tell you what to do."

It sounds like in that particular culture, adults won't deliberately give magic to children. (But giving a child a charm might be all right--the kid isn't "doing magic", he's just wearing a fox's ear that happens to help him fight off disease. The magic was done by whoever created the charm.)

But that wouldn't stop the kids from having their own secret clubs, with their own lore passed down from child to child. All adults know about it (from when they were children), but by and large, they let it go as harmless play.

*Unless*, of course, the secret kids' order stumbles onto bad magic. They find a funny-looking old statue half-buried in the woods, and they decide to make offerings of rabbit's blood to it (just like mommy and daddy make offerings to the clan guardian). The kids don't know that it's a statue of Karrg, who has accepted their worship and blessed them--and, in the process, *really* pissed off their parents' god. (It's an Elmal clan, naturally.) Next thing you know, there's divine retribution all over the place, and the parents have no idea why... (a scenario idea?)