Re: Re: RE:Common Magic for kids

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:36:38 -0400

But when Thunder Rebels was written, there was no Common Magic in the game.

More seriously, I think that some Common Magic doesn't take the form of mumbling incantations or doing a dance or mental exercises- they are talents like having perfect pitch or extraordinary hand eye coordination. The kid with a "Soothe Cattle" ability might just always have been good with cattle and never learned any mumbo-jumbo. Therefore, they can't be "denied" the "magic" any more than someone with perfect pitch can have that "denied" them. Now when they are an adult, they might get the opportunity to develop that talent further via learning mumbo-jumbo (i.e., it becomes an active ability) the same way the kid with perfect pitch can take singing lessons, but without that this isn't big magic, its just something some folks can do.

Gerald