Re: A Closer look at Shaman

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:10:12 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
> Subject: A Closer look at Shaman
>
> As a Horned Man Shaman, Pelgra doesn't
> immediately gain access to any extra spirits,
> but "can contact the many powerful spirits
> of the Wastelands, such as Lightning Boy,
> Brother Dog and Frog Woman. While a
> member of those helper practices they often
> have exotic spirits helping them" She can
> also take multiple spirit allies (either from
> Eritha or these helper practices) at an
> additional 10% commitment each.
>
> I'm not sure this is as good as it sounds - To
> join a Helper Practice still takes 3HP and a
> 10% Commitment, plus the cost of any charms or
> fetishes, and although the practice can be left,
> doing so means giving up the charms gained
> immediately, and Fetishes the next time the
> spirit is released

I think this is probably intended. There are few sources that talk about Praxian shamans outside of the Praxian great spirit practices. The best example is the source (forgotten which one--probably Drastic Prax and Nomad Gods) that discusses the defeat of "Oakfed shamans" by the lunars. We now know that these were Horned Man shamans who were members of the Oakfed helper practice. Still, calling them Oakfed shamans implies to me that, while the association might not be permanent, it did not change easily or without cause. In the Nomads Gods game, I see the tribal shamans (a) as groups of shamans working together, so there is diversity in their practices and (b) acting in times of open warfare, so there is good cause to switch.

This also makes sense within Praxian society (though other versions make as much sense). Supporting a shaman who has any switching cost will be expensive. Given the switching cost, it makes sense that shamans will be reluctant to switch even when possible and otherwise advantageous. This is because, when other clans visit upon hearing of Pelgra's prowess as a Frog Woman shaman (of which there are a limited number), she will be able to help them, thus gaining prestige (and other goodies) for herself and the clan. If she had switched and no longer had her Frog Woman powers, the visitors would be mightily disappointed.

Chris Lemens

The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com