Re: Re: RE:Common Magic for kids

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:37:14 +0100

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:09:49PM -0000, Ian Cooper wrote:
> Under-age magic in TR is forbidden, just like sex. Now just like
> underage sex, I am sure that kids experiment with talents, charms
> they find in the kitchen for lighting the fire etc. (hell they play
> with fireworks around here too and they are banned from them as
> well). But I'm also sure that if they get caught they get a damn
> good hiding for messing with things that they are not supposed to.
> So in answer to the original question, i doubt they get any magic
> from Vorian and Voriof - but I don't suspect that this means that
> Gloranthan kids are not as likely to break the rules and to get
> punished as ours are.

Whether they might get magic 'from' Voria is verging into another one of these grand(ish) cosmological questions. Does the "official cult" of (either) V. teach magic to children? Obviously not. Do some children get 'magical' (usual caveats about the very word) benefits, either from each other (as colourfully decsribed elsepost), or sponaneously? I think definitely so. What the ultimate 'source' of these might be is a question it's difficult I think to give cut and dried answers to -- but in play, very likely a lot of fun if you want to explore.

> A more interesting question perhaps is why kids are forbidden magic.
> [...] In Glorantha it is also tied to religion and as such it is sacred.

But common magic 'religions' are clearly pushing the envelope of the term. On the scale of things, knowing the "Stay Warm" talent [sic] is closer for me to not tied to religion as it'd be ordinarily understood, than it would be to the real magical secrets of the Heortling religion and society.

Cheers,
Alex.