Three Worlds headaches

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:34:06 +0200

Nick :

> PS: I couldn't agree more with [Alex'] earlier post on Common Magic
> typologies. What a comprehensive waste of everybody's time this rigid
> three-worlds, headaches-when-you-concentrate model is turning out to be.

Well hey, not _everyone_ has a headache here !

OK, HQ should have made a stronger distinction between Inner Magic (hint : NOT rigid) and Common Magic, but I think that basically the new model is far, far better than the bad old mucho rigid HW one (many headaches retreating, kimosabe).

IMO Puma Person shapechanging is Inner Magic, NOT Common Magic.

I also like the Concentration rules, and I like the fact that characters are encouraged to focus on a single magic system, without forcing them to.

And I also like the n Worlds model, come to that.

But I will OTOH probably let PCs keep their Common Magic, and just prevent them from spending any extra HPs on it ...

... 'cos Common magic is just good plain FUN !

Julian Lord

PS OK the 'talents' word has been misused. ie used to mean two fairly different things, causing confusion and commentary. Can't we just say that one variety is called a 'talent' and the other variety a 'gift' or something, say Common magic provides talents but Inner magic provides gifts ?

Sheesh !

Much ado about nothing, indeed !!