Dealing with Talents (was Re: Three Worlds Headaches)

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:53:33 -0000

> When converting HW characters to HQ during playtesting one of our
> players did raise the question "I am devotee. What happens to my
> natural magical abilities, because they are now defined as talents,
> which I must have given up". The ability in question was 'sweet
> voice' which the player felt was magical in origin. After some
> discussion over whether the player wanted to take them as feats
> instead, IIRC we opted for something along the lines of: you only
> lose abilities from other magic keywords when you concentrate i.e.
> if you got from your narrative or list and it was not from a common
> magic keyword you get to keep it.
>
> Bear in mind it was a conversion fudge, though.

As the player in question (see
http://www.indigost.demon.co.uk/glorantha/karath-stats.html for the character), I was converting a long running character with over 2 years in play, and the ability in question was the one my character took his name from. We agreed that we would think about it, with no decision either way, for a while and then the answer became moot as I emigrated to Singapore (and haven't played since, boo hoo).

The fudge that I was working up to suggesting to the group was that my character had actually inherited a feat/ability from an ancestor that had been some kind of Hero of Issaries - see page 128 of HeroQuest for some "support" for this idea.

I asked Stephen Martin about this area during the review/playtest. I made it a bit more pointed by reminding him of the sources (Thunder Rebels?) that say Heortlings are occasionally born with the innate ability to fly. His answer was along the lines of "Hmmm, we will have to deal with that at some point in the future but it is too obscure to deal with it in the main rules" - obviously this paraphrased heavily from my faulty memory.

regards,
Charles