RE: Re: Three Worlds headaches

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:11:38 +0100

Julian L he say:

"Fact is, the n worlds crashing into and out of each other *again* is just the cosmological reality of what is going to happen during the Hero Wars"

Superb! A true Moorcockian "Conjunction of a Million Spheres" give or (especially in this case) take 999,997.

Leaving that aside for a mo he goes on:

"I am utterly unimpressed by the fact that the Esvulari Hide in Cover is a Feat, Fire Stick is a Charm, and Conceal Object a Spell. The n worlds are meaningful, the n common magics (as presented) are not."

Funny, I'd have said that if one's meaningful then the other is as well. What I'd like to have seen is where these magics come from - the same sort of way the Seven Mothers are presented - FREX you get a sharp chopper feat* from YT. However, it's no biggy to make it up: "Hide in Cover" comes from Desemborth (a sneaky Heortling Great Great Great Grandad we don't talk about), making "Fire Sticks" comes from the Praxian Tradition (another Great Great Great Grandad traded the secret for a bottle of firewater) ad nauseum.

"AFAIK this is just some RQ-type paraphernalia that should have been smashed to smithereens with a big stick. IMO, otherworld-specific common magic should be the exception, not the rule."

Perhaps it should be the More Cock and Spheres concept of all these worlds that get's smashed. After all, the game systems that support these ideas seem to resemble that which should not be spoken about...

Cheers,

Ash

*Continuity seems to have suffered a bit between ILH1 and HQ, but it's near enough.