Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:05:45 -0700

> > >ability, until the foot soldier was ahead (33 AP to 8 AP),
> > whereupon the
> > >cavalry soldier charged with his horse.
> > >
> > >What should happen then?

As noted by several other people, the contest remains the same (same goals, same AP), just the skills used have changed. And the Foot Soldier has the opportunity to swtch skills to something more appropriate to counter a Horse charge, as well.

> PS a heroic healer would stand a chance in such a contest.
> She could remain calm in the face of insults.
> And talk him into a non-violent solution.
> Just my opinion of course.

The beauty of heroquest is that just about anyone would have an equal chance (given equal target numbers) in any contest, as the Oscar Wilde vrs the Great Troll debate showed (search the archives, grasshopper). Some abilites are less relevant than others so might face a penalty, but you *can* use Witty Repartee to defend against Great Axe if you really want to.

And a CA Healer would have moral superiority on her side if the trooper got physical :-) I'd say she is just about the perfect opponent for a physical-damage type. "Sleep" is still one of the most useful magics going - and if the healer is of the Ferace subcult she has specific defensive magics as well(leap away from blow, Calm predator, reasssure stranger).

Don't get locked into a "Weapons use must be countered by weapons use" mindset. "Calm" in the face of a Great Axe attack is just as usable as "Sword and Shield". Remember that the two oppponents might have very different goals in a contest - a Physical attack is going for wounds or a kill, while the CA might go for "Sleep", or a peaceful reconciliation wherein the attacker sees the danger of violent action within himself. (Complete defeat might make him give up his killing ways and join the CA in her healing work - a "Death" to his old occupation (and all the HP he put into his weapons)).

RR
- Richelieu