Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:46:39 -0000

The player starts off with "ok this is a verbal thingy, its fun, lets do it". He starts losing, and being a ex-D&D player decides killing is the best answer (Violence is always an option?).

As a player he naturally thinks what he wants goes, so he charges forward and tries to melee.

IN HQ however I think that you have to make a stand against your players. They agreed to enter into an exchange for which the result was 'who crosses the bridge first'. Even if they resort to melee and say they are trying to kill the opponent, that is not the agreed objective and as a GM I would insist on that.

So i this case the cavalry guy charges in and if he losses then you announce that he faltered before the stinging tongue of his opponent. If he wins then you say his charge scared the foot trooper off and he yielded.

If the player is insistant on killing the trooper you now enter ANOTHER contest, with that objective, and I would quite happily reset APs but inflict a heavy follow on loss to the loser of the previous contest.

HQ has a stronger narrative component to D&D, which I as GM have slowly become more comfortable with. I now have no problems just telling my players that "this is the result, lets move on". And they are slowly coming to accept this as they are mainly interested in getting to the "big scene" where they know I wont do this and it will be their decisions that decide things...

Personally I would have done this as a simple contest...