Re: Confused about magic

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:06 -0700

aspolito:

>Concentrated magic. What does this mean? It says non concentrated
>magic can't be
>used for an active effect. I got that means it can only augment an
>ability, but does
>that make the act magical? Suppose I use my Climb Walls talent/feat/charm/
>whatever to augment my Climb skill, is that now a magical act? If
>climbing a really
>slick tall wall do I still roll against a target number of 14 or do
>I roll against the target
>number I'd use for a non augmented skill check, say 10W1 or
>something. If using a
>magical healing ability to help my first aid skill is that magical
>healing? Or is it
>mundane healing and the magic was just some innate "you do this a bit better"?

IMO, since you are not using the magical rating itself (that would require concentrated magic), you are using a mundane ability. Your Climb is opposed by the height/smoothness of the wall, and your First Aid is not magic.

>In the magic rules there is an example of someone having magic boots
>to jump over
>trees. She is rolling against a 14 target because it is magic. Does she have
>concentrated common magic or is having a magic item somehow different?

I thought the example was of having magic which perfectly matched the situation -- the source of the magic not being important.

>And then there are feats. Ok, I get if using a feat you jsut roll
>your affinity+feat+any
>augmentations. But what if I'm augmenting with the feat? Do I augment with
>(affinity+feat)/10 or do I augment with affinity/10+feat. If I had
>the affinity of 1W2
>and the feat at +6 would that be an augmentation of +3 or +8?

What's the ability rating of the ability with which you are augmenting? If you have a feat at a net 7W2 (47), then you would get an automatic augmentation of +5.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html