Re: Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: Alexander G. M. Smith <agmsmith_at_...>
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

Thanks for all the comments. Seems like most people agree that it should be just one extended contest (or a simple one, but we were doing it to try out extended contests) since it is still about getting across the bridge. The hard part now appears to be inventing a description of what's happening to match the AP changes and skills used.

It seems like the sub-contest in each round is irrelevant, if Charge- -trooper vs whatever succeeds, the AP balance changes a bit but the trooper doesn't die, get knocked off the bridge, or anything else that would end the contest. So it only ends when AP reaches zero?

What happens if the cavalry soldier jumps his horse over the trooper successfully, but doesn't win the AP contest? Did the jump succeed or is the jumping sub-contest in that round actually a failure, perhaps just pushing the trooper back a bit? Even though he cleared the trooper by 3 feet? In other words, does the overall AP contest tweek the results of the sub-contests?

Next time I'll have the sticky bits of stomped trooper slow down the horse so that the cavalry guy still suffers a minor defeat in the overall contest to match the AP result :-).