Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:25:59 -0000

Correct, he hasn't succeeded in crossing the bridge first (or whatever his revised intention is, should he change it) until AP reach zero.

> What happens if the cavalry soldier jumps his horse over the trooper
> successfully, but doesn't win the AP contest? Did the jump succeed
or
> is the jumping sub-contest in that round actually a failure, perhaps
> just pushing the trooper back a bit? Even though he cleared the
> trooper by 3 feet? In other words, does the overall AP contest
> tweek the results of the sub-contests?

Reading this I think you are again taking the statement too much as an accomplishment, and forgetting that the bid has to match the statement. The cavalry officer is *trying* to run over the trooper, or jump his horse over him, and so on. If the action would clearly win the contest upon a complete success, then the bid should be big enough to support that. In other words, if the office's intention is "I start charging, then have my horse leap clear over him, landing on the far side and completing the crossing", then by gosh the bid should be at least 33 AP! If he fails then the horse missed the landing and falls in the river, or balks, or balks and throws him, etc.

Note that the penalties to the trooper in this case would probably be to something like his confidence. He put on his toughest face, and then was made to look like a fool. He'd have a hard time gathering up the same bravado in the near future.

--Bryan