Re: Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:32:54 +0100

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:31:10PM -0400, Dave Camoirano wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 06:50 PM, Alex Ferguson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:17:42PM +0100, stephenmcg_at_...
> > wrote:
> > > That's the long and short of it - the contest ends when someone's AP
> > > reach zero.�
> >
> > Or if someone withdraws from it.
>
> That in itself won't end a contest. It just changes the objective.

My bad, slight HW hangover here. Then again, I'm not at all sure this makes much in the way of procedural sense; as I mentioned before, my personal test of whether something is the 'same' contest is precisely whether the objective has changed -- here it explicitly has, and I'd be very much inclined to say it's a new contest. Granted there are cans of worms there, but...

Needless to say it doesn't make a great deal of simulationist sense, and is also potentially a recipe for someone feeling somewhat hosed "gamistly" -- if you decide to withdraw from a contest because you're getting a hiding, if your opponent decides to 'pursue', chances are you'll be comparably hosed in trying to do that, too.