Re: [HeroQuest-rules]

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:08:38 +0100

> >The cavalryman could physically continue
>>blocking the bridge - or even try to ride across - even if suffering
>>a complete defeat as a result of the swearing contest.
>
>No he couldn't. Someone suffering a complete defeat can't do much of
>anything substantial for at least awhile. And since the objective of
>the contest was "cross the bridge first," the character definitely lost
>out on that chance.

I think you've pretty much worked out my point, but that paragraph does miss it. Yes, the rules say that the character has lost and that is that. But given the nature of the contest the loss is psychological rather than reflecting physical incapacity. The character has the physical capabilities to do exactly what I said - but not the will to do so.
So yes, the contest can override "free will", and prevent characters from taking actions that they are physically entirely capable of.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.