Re: [HeroQuest-rules]

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:39:30 +0100

> > So yes, the contest can override "free will", and prevent characters
>> from taking actions that they are physically entirely capable of.
>
>The Free-will-override was first proposed in the context of an on-going
>contest, not after a defeat.

Yes, but the principle is the same. There is no absolute "free will". Characters may be unable to take actions they are physically capable of, and which the player would like to do.

>While a contestant has *any* positive AP he has free will, and can declare
>any action he wants (some might not be as useful as others, and some might
>be freakishly dumb to do, and some he might not have the skill to do, but he
>can declare them as his action). Only once the contest is over does he
>temporarily loses his "free will" - either through physical inability to
>perform, loss of confidence in his own abilities, magcial conditions, etc.

I disagree here. Just as the events of the contest may have (temporary) physical effects within the contest, affecting the actions available (e.g. a character may fall over) they may also have (temporary) psychological effects which affect the actions available to a character.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.