Re: Argument overridden

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:26:36 +0100

>But given the nature of the contest the loss is
>> psychological rather than reflecting physical incapacity. The
>> character has the physical capabilities to do exactly what I said -
>> but not the will to do so.
>> So yes, the contest can override "free will", and prevent characters
>> from taking actions that they are physically entirely capable of.
>
>That's true, but only defeat in a contest can do this. The GM saying you
>haven't
>got enough APs do decide to do this or that doesn't cut it.

That's not what I am saying. It is not the AP's it is the position *reflected* by the AP balance that is at issue (if APs were equal at 8 then my comment about a "frustrating stalemate" would apply, allowing the switch).

>later:
>
>>I disagree here. Just as the events of the contest may have
>>(temporary) physical effects within the contest, affecting the
>>actions available (e.g. a character may fall over) they may also have
>>(temporary) psychological effects which affect the actions available
>>to a character.
>
>So in this specific case, what event in the game world prevented the
>cavalryman from deciding to try and force his way through? If there is
>one then fine, I don't think anyone would argue with you, but so far
>you're only been citing nebulous 'narative' reaons why the cavalryman
>can't try what he wants. If there's a real reason, what is it?

I believe that I've explained this more than once, but lets point out exactly how the narrative figures in.

The narrative has to explain HOW the actions taken change the situation in favour of one character or another. So the narrative will include an explanation of how success at swearing leads to the infantryman being in a better position to get across the bridge.
Now *my* explanation is that the swearing undermines the cavalryman's morale and the will to cross first. From that it follows that if the cavalryman is in a bad position and facing imminent defeat (as he is in the example) he does not have the will to take the decisive action of actually starting to cross the bridge. Another explanation - if there is one - may have different effects.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.