Re: Landscape Bands

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:06:31 -0000

Thank you very much for the reply. I realize that the "band" and "guardian" terminologies aren't quite correct, however this seems to be much how they function in rules terms in HQ (a hero band gaurdian gives you a defense ability, an awareness ability, and another blessing, a landscape daimone/spirit guardian (and maybe a very rare essence) gives you (usually) a defense ability, an awareness ability, and another blessing. In both cases it does not impede specialization of your magic.

>From your post, it seems that:

1) with a 'heroband guardian' you form a permanent bond, represented by a hero point, and can expect to gain the benefits of that relationship over time and travel.
2) With a 'landscape daimone/spirit/essence guardian', you make a sacrifice and gain a temporary benefit, that is more or less for use "soon, around here." You don't have to invest in a permanent relationship, but you don't gain the benefits of a permanent relationship either.

At a guess, the rules about how feats and spirits gained from landscape guardians are space and time limited would also apply to the benefits granted from worshipping one as a guardian. In other words, whether you gained an ability from Hedkoranth's Hill as a specefic feat learned through misapplied worship, or as a blessing from worshipping the Hill as a guardian, it will only last for about an episode. In certain cases this is moot (the River's powers only work on the River), but in others it can matter greatly (Clay Man or Granny Vo and Uncle provide very useful blessings!).

Thank you for this clarification, it had not been apparent to me from reading through the rules.

Regards;

Bryan

> Friends,
>
> > From: "Bryan" <bethexton_at_y...>
> >Subject: Joining a landscape guardian "band"
> >
> >Any idea on how one goes about becoming a follower
> >of entities like=20
> >the Engizi River or Chalk Man?
>
> It´s done the same way that someone joins any cult, or Practice.
>
> However, you need to remember that the characteristic of a
Landscape Entity determines the way of worship. That is, it is not an Otherworld Entity, it is absolutely linked with a part of the physical world (hence, landscape) and it can´t go wandering around.
> Since it has no Otherworld contact, it doesn´t work like a normal
Otherworld entity to be able ot give FEats or whatever.
> Since it is linked to the landscape, it is generally unsuited to be
a Band Guardian.

> >These are large,easily seen=20
> >landscape features, but it as easy as walking up
> >and making the right=20
> >sacrifice?
>
> In most cases people do not become followers of the Lanscape
entities. The Landscape entities get occasional worship, when their particular properties areneeded.

> >Or do you have to find an existing
> >member in good=20
> >standing to teach you the secret handshake?
>
> Many of these entities are part of the local Practices. The local
shamans (opriest, godi, etc.) would know the rituals. However, even they are usually not members of the religons, just occasional participatns/leaders in the worship.

> >Or do
> >you have to find a=20
> >leader of some sort (are there leaders for this
> >this sort of "hero=20
> >band"? It wouldnt' seem obvious).=20=20
>
> Almost no Landscape Entity becomes the Guardian of a Hero Band.
They are pretty different functions. A Guardian of a Hero Band has a priority obligation to its members. The Landscape Entity has a priority obligation to be a hill, river or whatever.

> >>From a character creation point of view, I guess
> >it is as easy as=20
> >saying "George follows Chalk Man."
>
> Can be done, but not by making Chalk Man a Guardian. Also, see
below, there are significent problems because this is a Local Entity.

> >In play I
> >assume the usual 1 HP=20
> >cost applies, and there may be an ability test of
> >some sort for some=20
> >of them (maybe the Engizi wants you to swim, maybe
> >Chalk Man wants=20
> >you to get lucky).
>
> Any entity that accepts worshippers wants your loyalty, your
sacrifice and your proper behavior. That is to say, your worship.

> >Do you have to stay nearby to make regular
> >sacrifices to stay part of=20
> >such a band?
>
> Yes. As a rule. Yes.
>
> >In other words, if George is a
> >follower of Chalk Man,=20
> >and he moves to Prax to escape lunar pressure, can
> >he still use Chalk=20
> >Man's magic to fleece the lunar soldiers with
> >gambling sticks? Or=20
> >maybe at first, but after a year he loses the
> >ability for not having=20
> >been back to visit?
>
> A year at the most. Probably sooner. The local nature of these
entities means that there is virtually no chance for a normal worhsipper to contact them. You have to be in the Chalk Man Valley to sacrifice to it. You have to be at the Engizi River to sacrifice to it. If you are out of touch with the entity, then you can´t sacrifice to it.

> Remember that one characteristic of the local Landscape entities is
that they are inhabiting a part of the physical world, juch as a person is. Only a person is mobile, and the landscape is not. You can´t got to the Other Side to chat with Chalk Man. He lives inside that hill over there.

> >For that matter, is there any limit to the number
> >of landscape=20
> >guardians you can follow?
>
> This is actually a non-question, since most people do not "follow"
these entities. They make sacrifices on an occasional basis, for temporary gain.

> >Obviously you can have
> >multiple guardians=20
> >in a general sense (like clan, war band, and hero
> >band), and of=20
> >course iin terms of hero band most groups are
> >somewhat jealous of=20
> >your time--if you are part of the Black Thorn
> >Reavers they expect you=20
> >to be along pillaging and terrorizing, not always
> >bowing out becuase=20
> >you are busy with the Happy Bunny Patting Society.
>
> This is of course the general rule for Guardians of all sorts. But
I want to repeat, Landscape entites are poor Guardians. Most would, I think, absolutely refuse to bind themselves as a Guardian.

> >BUT, landscape=20
> >guradians have "bands" that would seem less
> >exclusive
>
> Here I´ll say it again: most of them do not have Bands because
they functionally different from Guardians.

> >...presumably=20
> >you may need particular virtues to join certain of
> >them, but in most=20
> >cases it is just "I'm gifting you in return for
> >your protection"=20
> >without a real philosophy behind it. So that those
> >living in the=20
> >area between the Creek and the Chalk Man may
> >sacrifice to both for=20
> >their differing protections, and if they meed
> >Granny Vo in the=20
> >wilderness to her too, and if there is an Ernalda
> >hill near them then=20
> >gift it too.....potentially going to many landscape
> >guardians.
>
> Yep, ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. This is how people interact with their
local landscapes. But again, they do it WHEN NEEDED. It is certainly possible that they need it all the time, but they still treat it (mechanically) the same way, of making occasional sacrifices and then getting temporary benefits.