Magic vs. Non-Magic Resistance

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:16:51 -0000

If I have a mundane Ability named Jump 13 and I try to jump a garden wall that's Tall 10 for leaping purposes, I'll probably win. But jumping over a Tower with a Tall 10w5 means that I'll fail almost certainly.

If I have a magical Ability named Great Leap 13 and I try to jump the wall, I'm more likely to lose as the resistance goes up to 14. But I have the same chance of leaping the Tower as the wall.

Do I have the rule right? If so, what's the rationale for this? Besides, "FU, it's magic"? I mean, doesn't this make magical abilities potentially incredibly powerful at low levels? What am I missing? In HW, 14 was the minimum resistance for Magic. Not the default for things that have no special magical resistance, but the default for things that had no resistance at all. Has that really changed?

Mike