Re: [HW-Rules] Misapplied Sacrifice

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 14:01:42 -0700

> > OK I'm a little confused maybe....
> >
> > Looks to me like Kolat has an Animist set-up even though it's
> associated (if
> > on the perifery) of a theist culture.

Yes. Kolat is an acceptable spirit even in the Storm pantheon. Spirit talkers are a bit wierd, but have their place in Orlanthi society.

> It has been commented (somewhere...) that CERTAIN Animist cults (or
> whatever) are within the Orlanthi sphere, and are accepted culturally
> and magically as fitting into their traditions. So Kolat's OK,
> presumably Eiritha wouldn't be?

Right. Neither would Yu Kargzant.

> Question though: Is it Kolat who is accepted, or the Kolati Spirit-
> Talkers? Point being, can the Kolati sacrifice to ANY spirit or would
> only those within the accepted list be OK? Specifically, one of my RQ
> Shaman characters, now re-written as an Orlanthi Spirit-Talker,
> discovered & worshipped Firshalla, in Griffin Mountain. Can she
> continue this relationship without suffering from penalties all round?

Kolat and Spirit talkers are both acceptable. Finding Firshalla (and writing her up as a Spirit rather than a God) is still okay, unless you, as the Narrator, want to mess with the character (My Griffin Mountain is hiding somewhere in two tons of house-moving boxes). Now, if you had both a Spirit talker *and* a regular theist worshipping her, you'd have problems.

However, remember that Gloranthan people don't think in "HP cost" terms. Some follow a bad religious practice because it is all they have, or what their tribe has always done, or whatever. The fact that it isn't as "powerful" as a "normal" practice is explained away as "God is testing us", or "The Spirit is beset by many enemies", etc.

RR