Simple Contest Stalemate -- The Giant Tick

From: bigblackcatmail <bigblackcatmail_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:05:39 -0000

This question should be easy to answer, but (for me) it isn't. In fact, I don't much have an answer to it. It is most likely that I am thinking about it incorrectly or, perhaps, have the wrong take on the situation. But it has come up before in a couple of contests, and I think now I have the vocabulary to at least identify it as a cognitive speedbump.

Take a normal warrior facing off against a Giant Tick. The warrior wants to either kill or drive off the Tick. Now take the Giant Tick. It wants to suck the blood out of the warrior. A simple contest ensues and the Tick gets a Minor Victory.

Now, under the rules, the warrior takes a Hurt. But the Tick hasn't *really* succeeded at its goal and neither, really, has the warrior. Should another contest be attempted? Should I rule that the Tick fed until it was full and then left (while the warrior laid there paralyzed) and now the paralysis has worn off? Should I have ruled that, since the Tick was intending to *kill* its opponent that it needed a Major or Complete Victory and, therefore, failed? What about the warrior, then? Should the same stipulation apply to him? Further, what would I do if both sides required a "Complete Victory" to succeed at their stated objectives and then neither obtained one?

This type of Simple Contest Stalemate has come up only a couple of times. I have identified it, but honestly don't know how to handle it. I'm fairly new to this system and this is one bug (pardon the pun) that has me sort of perplexed. Has anyone else come across this? How have you handled it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.