Re: Argument overridden

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:26:26 +0100

>There is no actual force or effect in glorantha that has robbed the
>cavalryman of the use of his legs or ability to command his horse.
>That is what the contest is about,

No, it is not. Neither of these is likely to be affected by harsh language..

> and the contest has not yetb
>concluded. You are at least partialy pre-judging the outcome of the
>contest.

I disagree. Indeed if the AP represent anything then they must reflect the fact that the infantryman is close to victory.

>> >More generaly, you are establishing a rule that I, as a player in a
>> >game you were running, would be very concerned about. How many APs
>is
>> >enough to be able to make free choices?
>>
>> There is no such rule - I thought I was quite clear about that in
>my
>> previous exchanges in the contest. I trust that there is no
>dispute
>> over that.
>
>What effect of previous exchanges is being ignored?

The undermining of the will to cross the bridge, of course.

> Previous
>exchanges have affected the relative AP totals, reflecting the
>characters relative confidence and motivation. Those effects are
>fully simulated by the AP situation which is not being pore-empted or
>ignored in any way.

I disagree that they are fully represented by the AP totals. They may be in your games but when I run a game the AP losses represent changes in the overall situation which may affect what abilities are appropriate. The narrative explains the AP losses and what limitations are likely to apply. (Even the rules inflict some penalties for AP losses - followers dropping out of a contest when the APs they contribute are lost).

To give a roughly equivalent situation imagine that a character is fighting a chaos monstrosity which attacks by entangling it's victims with many tentacles. A character who is losing is likely to be partially entangled and restricted in the abilities that they may use (i.e. nothing that requires full freedom of movement).

> What effects of previous exchanges are you
>refering to?

Answered above.

--
--