Re: Argument overridden

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:15:57 -0000

Yes they are, if he is persuaded not to cross. But he has not been persuaded yet.

> > and the contest has not yetb
> >concluded. You are at least partialy pre-judging the outcome of the
> >contest.
>
> I disagree. Indeed if the AP represent anything then they must
> reflect the fact that the infantryman is close to victory.

They do exactly that. The cavalryman is still close to defeat, and will lose the contest if he loses only a few more AP. What ability or tactic he decides to employ does not change this, only the outcome of it (rolling the dice) will change that. Why do you think the AP situation is not enough to reflect the state of the contest?

> >What effect of previous exchanges is being ignored?
>
> The undermining of the will to cross the bridge, of course.

That is fully represented by the AP situation. That fact is fundamental to the way HeroQuest works.

> I disagree that they are fully represented by the AP totals. They
may
> be in your games but when I run a game the AP losses represent
> changes in the overall situation which may affect what abilities
are
> appropriate.

Where is the Heroquest rules does it say, or even imply that?

> To give a roughly equivalent situation imagine that a character is
> fighting a chaos monstrosity which attacks by entangling it's
victims
> with many tentacles. A character who is losing is likely to be
> partially entangled and restricted in the abilities that they may
use
> (i.e. nothing that requires full freedom of movement).

Partialy entangled yes, fully entangled no. He can try to use any ability he likes, whether he succeeds or not will depend on relative ability ranks, dice rolls and the resulting AP situation. I cannot think of any ability that could be reasonably restricted in such a situation. Can you give me an example of one?

Simon Hibbs