Re: Citizens of Pavis

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:19:45 -0000

> Being a member of a city-god cult is similar to being a memeber of a
> clan (or perhaps a tribe), only more political and crowded. I would
> suspect that it would fall under "communal worship" or the like and
> probably get a feat or something like that in exchange. If you
> wanted more than that (like affinities), you might be in trouble

Probably most often initiation to a city-god cult goes hand in hand with some sort of guild membership, which in turn probably points to some fitting Orlanth Allfather (or similar generality deity) subcult.

The situation gets complicated when you maintain your clan ties despite living in the city. It's fairly clear that you have to be laxer in maintaining one set of ties wherever there are conflicting festivals, however this sort of dual membership appears to be some kind of norm. Alternatively, think of a character with clan ties and belonging to a hero band with its own demands.

I'm talking about the urban tribal Heortlings of Sartar, the Provinces, and Kethaela here. People who maintain some contact to their ancestors (necessarily the clan wyter?) while being members of the city community and one or several of its sub-communities (guilds, clan or tribal groups, etc.).

> Most of the time, the big benefit of city-cult membership seems to
> be political and economic in nature, not magical.

This either means that inhabitants of cities are less magical, or (can) put more effort into magical pursuits than their rural countrymen.