Re: Do Anything 5W

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:59:50 -0400

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > Has anyone had problems with "do anything" abilities, such as
> "Resourceful",
> > being over-used? The broader the ability is, the more often it will have
> an
> > appropriateness penalty applied, but it's still cheaper in the long run to
> > improve one ability than two. Could this be balanced by only allowing
> cheap
> > advancement if the ability has been used without any appropriateness
> modifier
> > during the episode?
>
> Someone had the idea (a month ago?) of charging "Unrelated to the story"
> (2x) or even "Affinity" (3x) HP costs for these sorts of skills. I wish I'd
> thought of it myself.
>
> RR

Uh, that would be me (among others!) It works very well in my group, as far as we have found. I do something similar with Combat (letting players buy a specific additions within the close or ranged combat) Its a house rule but it prevents the 'same skil with everything' effect. And with combat being a bit more expensive, it makes the fighting types a bit slower to gain in power, which lets the more magically and socially oriented people keep pace.

Jeff

Jeff