Re: Magic vs. Non-Magic Resistance

From: bernuetz_at_...
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:06:57 -0500 (CDT)

Nick Eden wrote:
>>"Mike Holmes" <homeydont_at_...> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I have a mundane Ability named Jump 13 and I try to jump a garden
>>> wall that's Tall 10 for leaping purposes, I'll probably win. But
>>> jumping over a Tower with a Tall 10w5 means that I'll fail almost
>>> certainly.
>>>
>>> If I have a magical Ability named Great Leap 13 and I try to jump the
>>> wall, I'm more likely to lose as the resistance goes up to 14. But >I
>>> have the same chance of leaping the Tower as the wall.
>>>
>>> Do I have the rule right? If so, what's the rationale for this?
>>> Besides, "FU, it's magic"? I mean, doesn't this make magical
>>> abilities potentially incredibly powerful at low levels? What am I
>>> missing? In HW, 14 was the minimum resistance for Magic. Not the
>>> default for things that have no special magical resistance, but the
>>> default for things that had no resistance at all. Has that really
>>> changed?
>>
>>Check the HeroWars archives, but I seem to remember that this was
>>handled by letting the wall augment from its "tall". That garden wall
>>gets a +1 and doesn't change much. The tower that rivals Kero Fin >gets

>>a +11 raising its effect resistance to 5w1. It still isn't going to
>>stop any high power magical jumper, but it certainly makes it more
>>challenging for most folks.
>>
>>I don't see any reason you can't use this same trick in HQ, but I
>>haven't read the rules yet, so I could be wrong.
>
>That doesn't make any sense. You could maybe augment the standard
>worldly 14 with +1 or +11, but you seem to be augmenting the Tallness
>of the tower with the Tallness of the tower.

Actually the whole business gives me a headache but this makes sense to me.  Any smuck with concentrated common magic gets to treat his spells, etc. as  abilities so they could hypothetically have a charm called Jump Mountain that allows them to jump non-magical mountains. At least modifying the difficulty by the height makes it a bit harder to jump really tall things. There's still some gradient of difficulty with it still being easier (and doable frankly) than with a mundane ability. Means you don't have to hypothesize magical inhabitants for every hill and mountain to prevent people with low level magical abilities from jumping them. I like this.

Oliver