Re: Re: Magic vs. Non-Magic Resistance

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:09:24 +0000

Hi!

>Camo said:
>
>>Under the HW model, there was really no difference between having a
>>mundane Jump 17 and a magical Great Leap 17. In HQ, there definitely is!
>
>And this is a good thing?

I think so.

>The thing that, for me, really made Glorantha
>*magical* in HW was precisely the non-differentiation (rules-wise) between
>magical and mundane abilities. A mundane "make fire" made fire equally well
>as a magical "ignite", apart from you not needing flint and tinder to make
>fire with magical "ignite".

And this is a good thing? ;-)

>Both abilities could be used to set fire to
>soaking-wet wood bewitched with quenching charms, taking the same
>difficulty.

This part, at least, hasn't really changed. If the wood is magically wet, the "ignite" would need to overcome the magic's resistance, not 14.

>It gave Glorantha the faerie-mytho-magical qualities depicted
>in Princess Mononoke, where everything is suffused with magic, gods walk
>among men, and sufficiently high ability ratings allow you to do the
>impossible. In a sense, the Inner World of mortals felt like an Otherworld
>instead of a Mundane world.

Now see, I feel that the change in HQ from HW is *more* like this, not less.

Being able to do a standing leap to the top of a 20' wall certainly doesn't make the Inner World feel all that mundane to me! The fact that someone with a couple of masteries (and maybe the help of a hero point) can do that as well just makes it better to me.

>Now, i like HQ (especially for the less clunky rules-set) but the Glorantha
>it conjures has other qualities.

What!?!

>*Enjoyable* qualities, I hasten to add,

Oh, ok. :-)

>but different.
>
>YGWV; i know mine has.

And so has mine. I have to say I like the idea someone had about adding as an automatic augment the ability that would be used to resist a mundane attempt (a wall's Tall 10W2 to give an augment of +5 to the normal magic resistance of 14, for instance). I'll probably use it.

Camo