Re: Re: Argument overridden

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:20:19 -0700

> Side Thought.
>
> I think part of the problem here is the idea that the circumstances of a
> contest effect the person's ability to act. While this is true, I think
its
> important for the GM *not* to create such circumstances. So, if a player
> says "I attack him with my sword", it is not reasonable for the GM to
> interpret the resulting AP loss as "you break his shield". If the player
> wants to break the other guy's shield, he needs to specify it - "I use my
> Shield Breaker feat" - "he loses 7 AP, and his shield is broken..." In
this
> case, if the footsoldier had deliberately made a large bid and tried to
> shame the cavalry man into dismounting to face him, then maybe we'd be in
> the situation you describe. Coming up with descriptions that don't
> arbitrarily restrict the other person's choice is hard, but part of the
> skill of HQ GMing. See also "Well, when I thought you would lose I said
> your arm was broken, but seeing as you won, I guess..."

Just to make a suggestion - the players (including the narrator) should have to specify that they are going for a "special effect", it shouldn't be pulled out of the blue. Not only does this keep the narrator from being arbitray and having to choreograph the fight on the fly, but it also makes the players *think* about what they are doing. Just as "I leap on his head and push my spear through his eye" is more dramatic than "I hit him", so it "I drive him back towards the 1,000 foot drop, hoping to push him over." "I use my 'Sneaky tricks' to disarm him." "I throw sand in his eyes and run away whiole he can't see me." Putting an immediate goal into a bid is perfectly acceptable, and (if backed by a good roll) should produce the narrative effects Paul is looking for.

Then problem I have with Paul's "no physical action" ruling is that there were no *narrative* elements to point to which I would say "yep, looks like he's up sh*t creek". instead it was a bald statement that it wasn't allowed.

RR
- Richelieu