Re: Argument Overridden

From: Alexander G. M. Smith <agmsmith_at_...>
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

I've been gorlicked. The Vulcan nerve pinch of superior argument by one of my gamers. Now I'm thinking that it makes sense to start a new extended contest when the action type changes too much. The trooper still has a final shot to win the old swearing contest (and shame the cavalry soldier into letting him pass). But after that, it's a new type of combat (weapons rather than words) so a new extended contest makes more sense.

You could do a whole adventure as a single extended contest. Would that make sense? Only as a pure plot flow description, where AP decline marks the time to the end of the story. People don't do that, they use a bunch of contests in an adventure. So by induction, I should similarly split up an extended contest when the abilities used in the contest change too much.

P.S. Now somebody's going to go off and run a whole adventure as an extended contest to prove me wrong :-)