An entire scenario one extended contest

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:29:50 +0000

Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
> You could do a whole adventure as a single extended contest. Would that
> make sense? Only as a pure plot flow description, where AP decline
> marks the time to the end of the story. People don't do that, they use
> a bunch of contests in an adventure. So by induction, I should similarly
> split up an extended contest when the abilities used in the contest
> change too much.

Not just can you do a whole scenario as one extended contest, I have done so several times, and plan to do so in our next gaming session. It works fine. For one of the scenarios, the only rules preparation required was choosing one resistance and the number of APs for the opposition as a whole.

How do YOU choose whether to have an extended contest, a simple contest or to no contest at all? Someone else has already pointed out how HQ has 'contest based' rather than 'task based' resolution rules, which implies that changing task does not require a change of contest. The advice on HQ page 182 is relevant here. The Narrator should choose the contest type (and by extension, whether to start a new contest) according to pacing and drama reasons.

I don't understand your remark about 'plot flow description'. All the contest rules are about plot flow description. Can you clarify?